Thursday, March 4, 2010

Kirkpatrick in the Context of E-Learning...and other problems

As I read Chapter 10, I kept trying to understand how his Four-Level Model would translate into the world of E-Learning. What would have to be changed in order to evaluate those specific programs and E-Learning environments?

I found this article that may offer some insight, Evaluating E-Learning Programs, An Adaptation of Kirkpatrick's Model to Accommodate E-Learning Environments (Hamtini, 2008).

Check it Out!

Even without considering the changes in environment, I struggled to understand the effectiveness of the different evaluation levels. I thought back to the many surveys I have completed in my life and have watched other professionals complete after a training session. There are many factors that can affect responses. So, what are the challenges associated with gaining true and meaningful responses from participants? What are the biases associated with the evaluator and the supervisor? How do these things play a role in the evaluation process?

I know it seems as if this week's blog is filled with a lot of questions, but please respond and I will follow up with my own opinions as I seek out additional articles that deal with these problems.


1 comment:

  1. Nice article. It also summarized several other models of training evaluation. What’s your view of the new model for evaluating e-learning? How does it compare with the 4 levels in Kirkpatrick’s model?

    To address your question, one way to control for bias and get more reliable findings is to use data triangulation, that is, collecting more than one source of data.

    ReplyDelete