Thursday, February 25, 2010

Presentation Day!

As soon as I saw the list of topics for the presentation, my eyes were drawn to Motivation. I have always been interested in the motivation of students and specifically how technology can play a role in motivating students. Notice that I tried to be careful with the way that I worded that. Technology, of course, can not be the motivator alone. We cannot expect to design a lesson that uses some kind of technology and expect that alone to make students have the desire to learn. Keller points out that we need to be focused on creating instruction that engages students rather than just entertains. I do, however, think that motivation is a very tricky thing as classes and groups of students are extremely dynamic. Keller's ARCS model provides a great foundation and provides guidance for both instructional designers and teachers to properly create and assess the motivational aspects associated with a lesson. One thing that is not specifically mentioned, but may be assumed if task analysis is performed, is that the designer or teacher must be aware of the specific needs of his or her audience. As a teacher, I know that sometimes what is motivating to one group of students is not motivating to the other group. I have often come up with strategies that completely engage one class, but fails miserably with the next. I am looking forward to the presentation tonight and I hope that we can all engage in a discourse that will be mutually beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment